Not long after I completed the Gopher Maze that I’ve written about previously, my friend @shmouflon and I embarked on another Gopher project; writing a Choose Your Own Adventure-style short story told through Gopher directory pages.
We completed the project later in the year during August and were content to have ridden that wave of creativity for a while. However we were struck by an idea: what if we could use other oft-forgotten or much-maligned technology to create something new from this?
For the past few years I’ve wanted to increase my creative output, especially in writing. However this year I decided to really try and set it in motion using SMART goals. Doing this, I managed to write at least one blog post and one post for ScorpInc every month for the entire year.
Goal Setting SMART goals are relatively simple, it’s an acronym that refers to the following useful attributes of a goal:
+SHIP d1fdd6fd-1d4c-4af1-9af1-558f7d7f6e9b DOCKED, BEGIN UNLOADING+
The message was processed by the wharf control system, it’s failover brethren, and received by the redundant systems although as there was no emergency requiring activation they did not act on it.
In the harmonius ballet that followed, the wharf control system orchestrated a hundred drones of varying types that began removing all the cargo from d1fdd6fd-1d4c-4af1-9af1-558f7d7f6e9b. Ship-to-shore cranes took care of sea containers full of goods and materials, robotic pumping stations connected, cycled, and then began pumping out all the precious liquid and granular contents that would be sent elsewhere for processing or manufacture.
I’ve been pretty quiet about the 28 hour days project, even though it has still been ongoing. I’ll be honest, I fell into a bit of a depressive state and didn’t have the energy to devote towards writing or productive work. I’m unsure about the providence of this episode; while it could be a side effect of changing my sleeping schedule, it’s also a well-known part of my schizoaffective disorder.
Getting further into my 28-hour days experiment and trying to focus a bit more on “getting stuff done”.
Night Time I woke up at 22:00, which is a pretty weird time to come around, because your partner is about to go to sleep and you’re just thinking about breakfast. After spending some time with Nikki and seeing her to bed I decided to wrap up the blog post for the last two days and then spend some time chilling.
After two 28-hour days 12 of working hard on projects (and a bunch of super-productive 24-hour days previously), I kinda just wanted to mess around for a bit.
Hitchhiker I chilled online, went to Hula Bula Bar with Nikki to read our books, then came home and spent hours and hours playing WH40K Inquisitor Martyr until it was time to go to bed. It was dope.
I was very tired from 4AM onward and found I was unable to do anything productive even though it was my desire.
Continuing on from my introductory post and my first day in the 28 hour system, I’m still carrying on with this experiment!
Reasonable Sleep I fell asleep pretty much when I was supposed to last night, which meant that I had a nice solid 8 hours and woke up around 10AM Friday morning to being the Uprising day. I felt a bit tired, but nothing uncharacteristic for me over the past 3 months, so I decided to launch myself straight into my projects.
Continuing on from my introductory post about the 28 Hour Day, the experiment has finally begun! I’ll try and write one of these posts a day and give a quick, basic recap of how I used my time and any issues I ran into.
Feels weird starting this project mid-week, but let’s see what “Satellite” the day, has to offer us (the 7 day week equivalent, Thursday, is normally my “breakdown day”).
In September of 2007, xkcd released a comic that would stick with me for over a decade.
I’ve always wanted to try this schedule but been held back by work or other commitments. However since I’ve decided to take an extended break for myself, I thought it would finally be the perfect time to try and crank this out for a week or two and document the process.
Of course, with the bevy of mental health problems I suffer this could be calamitous.
TL;DR: Play my little game here for web users or at gopher://gopher.judges119.me:70/labyrinth for Gopher users.
Gopher I’ve written some posts recently about the Gopher protocol and how I’ve been exploring and playing around with it a bit. I don’t know what attracts me to it so much, potentially just the simplicity of it, the relatively unknown nature of it across the modern web/dev crowd, or even just the desire to resuscitate a dead standard.